Annecy (Èneci / Ènneci in Arpitan language) is a city in the Rhône-Alpes (Rôno-Arpes) region of east central France, on the shores of Lake Annecy, 22 miles south of Geneva.
AdministrationAnnecy is a municipality in the Haute-Savoie (Savouè d’Amont / Hiôta-Savouè) département, in the Rhône-Alpes région. It is the préfecture (capital) of the département.
The metropolitan area of Annecy includes 13 municipalities.
Annecy is the capital of three cantons:
- The Canton of Annecy-Centre is made up of a part of Annecy and has 15,344 inhabitants;
- The Canton of Annecy-Nord-Est is also made up of part of Annecy and counts 19,540 inhabitants;
- The largest canton is that of the Annecy-Nord-Est, which is formed from a part of Annecy and the communities of La Balme-de-Sillingy, Choisy, Épagny, Lovagny, Mésigny, Metz-Tessy, Meythet, Nonglard, Poisy, Sallenôves et Sillingy. Its population numbers 44,164.
HistoryAnnecy is located between Geneva and Chambéry. Thus its history was strongly influenced by these two towns between the 10th and the 19th century. Starting as the capital of the county of Geneva, after the demise of the counts of Geneva, it became integrated into the House of Savoie in 1401. In 1444, it was set up by the Princes of Savoie as the capital of a region covering the possessions of the Genevois, Faucigny and Beaufortain. With the advance of Calvinism in 1535, it became a center for the Counter-Reformation and the bishop's see of Geneva was transferred here. (It suppressed in 1801, though restored in 1822.) During the French Revolution, the Savoy region was conquered by France and Annecy became attached to the département of Mont Blanc, of which capital was Chambéry. After the Bourbon Restoration in 1815, it was returned to the House of Savoy. When Savoy was annexed by France in 1860, it became the capital of the new département of Haute-Savoie.
Francis of Sales was born at the castle of Sales, close by, in 1567. He was bishop of Annecy from 1602 to 1622.
Annecy was the site of the second round of GATT talks in 1949.
GeographyAnnecy is on the northern tip of Lake Annecy (Lac d'Annecy).
CultureAnnecy has hosted the Annecy International Animated Film Festival since 1960.
Sites of interestAnnecy is a pleasant residence, and is home to a number of important places and monuments:
- The Palais de l'Isle, also called the "old prison", was built in the 12th century. It is the symbol of the town and is among the most photographed monuments in all of France.
- The Château d'Annecy (Annecy Castle) was the home of the Counts of Geneva and the Dukes of Genevois-Nemours, an offshoot of the House of Savoie (12th-16th century). Today it is home of the Art and History Conservatory of Annecy and the Regional Office of the Alpine Lakes. http://perso.orange.fr/istanbul/ANNECY/photographie_annecy_chateau4.JPG,http://perso.orange.fr/istanbul/ANNECY/photographie_annecy_chateau6.jpg
- The Cathedral of Saint-Pierre, built in the 16th century, was the cathedral of François de Sales and is home to a number of artworks and baroque pieces from the 19th century. http://perso.orange.fr/istanbul/ANNECY/photographie_annecy_cathedrale-saint-pierre2.jpg,http://michele-gabriel.chez-alice.fr/images/vigorg/acy.cth219org.jpg
- The rue Sainte-Claire and its romantic arches date from the 17th and 18th centuries.
- The rue royale, with its numerous shops, gardens and the fountain of Saint Jean is the heart of the commercial and political activities of the town.
- The money workshop of the Genevois now houses the Musée de l'Histoire d'Annecy.
- The church of Saint-Maurice has a flamboyant gothic style of the 15th century, and houses some very interesting paintings from the 15th and 16th centuries. http://christian.pourre.free.fr/p640/annecy_saint_maurice.jpg,http://www.sav.org/montmin/images/o07b.jpg
- The European Gardens, made just after the annexing of Savoie in 1863, where one can admire the very rich and diverse vegetation.
- The Pont des Amours (Lovers' Bridge), a beautiful example of the iron architecture typical of the 20th century.
- The Impérial Palace, inaugurated in 1913, with its public gardens, its beach and its casino.
- The Basilique de la Visitation, built in the 20th century, home of the tomb of François de Sales and Jeanne de Chantal, offers a magnificent view of the town and the agglomeration. Basilique
There is also a public library, with 20,000 volumes and various scientific collections.
- LAPP Laboratoire d'Annecy-le-Vieux de Physique des Particules specialized in Physics
- Mecatronics department of CETIM
- Different R&D activities in the Université de Savoie and its Ecole Polytechnique d'Ingenieurs: Polytech'Savoie.
EconomyCompanies located in and around Annecy:
- SNR Roulements
- Alcatel Vacuum Technology
Twin townsAnnecy is twinned with:
This picture has been edited. The path on the right and left side is straight and not angled by 45°.
- Annecy town website (in French)
- The former mayor of Annecy Bernard Bosson (in French)
- Satellite's view of Annecy's Lake
- Return from alpine pasture (in french: Le retour des alpages). Official web site of the Association Annecy Traditions, organizer
- The International Animated Film Festival
- Festival du film italien d'Annecy
annecy in Franco-Provençal: Èneci
annecy in Bulgarian: Анси
annecy in Catalan: Annecy
annecy in Cebuano: Annecy
annecy in Czech: Annecy
annecy in German: Annecy
annecy in Estonian: Annecy
annecy in Spanish: Annecy
annecy in Esperanto: Annecy (urbo)
annecy in French: Annecy
annecy in Korean: 안시
annecy in Italian: Annecy
annecy in Latin: Annecium
annecy in Luxembourgish: Annecy
annecy in Dutch: Annecy
annecy in Japanese: アヌシー
annecy in Norwegian: Annecy
annecy in Norwegian Nynorsk: Annecy
annecy in Occitan (post 1500): Anecí
annecy in Polish: Annecy
annecy in Portuguese: Annecy
annecy in Romanian: Annecy
annecy in Russian: Анси
annecy in Slovenian: Annecy
annecy in Serbian: Анси
annecy in Finnish: Annecy
annecy in Swedish: Annecy
annecy in Vietnamese: Annecy
annecy in Venetian: Annecy
annecy in Volapük: Annecy